What the hell is this post, a shameless plug for my Instagram? On the one hand, yes definitely. On the other hand, I’ve felt an Instagram rant has been long overdue from me and I want to get my feelings out there and see what you think. But first, the ‘grams:
1. My top ‘gram of the year is the most ‘cliche’ photo I’ve ever taken, but I swear the story behind it is awesome: on a day when I was feeling miserable and lonely, I stuffed myself into some tight jeans and took a trip to my old stomping grounds. I bought a book from my old street bookseller, Steve at 113th and Broadway. I love Steve because he treats me like a person, and not like a girl. When we talk about books, I feel respected and intelligent He spits a little when he talks, because he’s missing a lot of teeth, and I shake his hand even though his fingernails are caked in dirt. I went to the bathroom at the Starbucks near Columbia University, and bought myself a pumpkin spice frappuccino which I enjoyed despite judgemental stares from everyone on the street. I took a picture, and it later got featured on the Starbucks page. Shrug.
2. The day after Thanksgiving, while visiting my boyfriend’s family, we took a hike in the woods near this historic house. The day was warm and golden. I wish this photo was a scratch-n-sniff.
3. One of my favourite things in 2015 was Lush! I’m afraid to use the products now that I’m going through dermatological treatments, but I love reliving it through pictures.
4. I woke up with amazing bedhead. I believe good hair constitutes a moral obligation to take a selfie.
5. I did this thing for a while where I got dressed up for no reason but to take pictures of myself wearing outfits. This was one of my favourite pictures from that era because I look so darn happy.
6. From the post-Thanksgiving hike. A fallen tree. “Babe, please don’t hate me, would you please take my picture with it?”
7. Pre-Thanksgiving. Our neighbors down the street are champions of inflatable holiday decorations. One post-brunch stroll with dirty hair, minimal makeup, and I’m over the moon for this turkey. Say it again: “Babe, please don’t hate me, would you please take my picture with it?”
8. Another of the best things in 2015 was being introduced to Frangelico! It’s a very sweet, syrupy hazelnut liquor that pairs well with citrus. I’ve gone through so much of this stuff. I’ve also gotten over the guilt that I’ve had around drinking for my own pleasure ever since I first heard that line in Gone With The Wind: “Never drink alone, Scarlett.” Fiddle-dee-dee, Rhett. Feet up, Frangelico. Me time.
9. I wore this outfit out to brunch. I asked my boyfriend to “Be honest, do I look like a technicolor ostrich?” I took photos to see for myself. #TechnicolorOstrich
Overall, I’m very pleased with my #2015BestNine. Most of these pictures captured moments of real, genuine happiness. They represent a snapshot of my life, or something I wish I could share with everyone.
I’m about to lose a lot of friends (sorry!) by saying this, but I just don’t like “curated” Instagram feeds. I appreciate a good flat-lay (I wish I could master the art myself!). I said I was going to lose a lot of friends, didn’t I?! I mean, this is just my opinion here, so feel free to disregard it (or argue with me in the comments!), but my favourite Instagram feeds are like “Twitter, but pictures.” Call me old-fashioned (“you’re old fashioned!” – everybody), but I like my Instas like I like my blogs: an intimate quick peek into someone else’s life. I guess what I’m saying is, If you like to follow Instagrams which aren’t at all themed, have NO colour scheme and post erratically as hell, FOLLOW MY INSTAGRAM! Also, share YOUR Instagram opinions in the comments!