This topic is near and dear to my heart, since I worked in a school for a year and definitely had delusions of wanting to be a teacher (!!!) for a while, and though that didn’t really pan out, I do have massive respect for these fictional teachers for actually doing it!
1. Miss Mason, Grease 2 with her unstructured updo, tight dresses and chiffon scarf knotted at the neck, she is the epitome of the sexy teacher! Soft-spoken as Marilyn Monroe and just as blonde, Miss Mason is the sexy teacher we all secretly wish we could be as cool as her!
2. Edna Krabapple, The Simpsons don’t we always feel a little bit sorry for her? If Miss Mason is the dream, Mrs. Krabapple is the reality.
3. Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is sort of a teacher? He works in a school? And he teaches Buffy how to be a slayer? Okay, it counts. ‘Specially cuz he really gets what it means to be a teacher… DRINKING TO AVOID YOUR REALITY.
4. George M. Helmholtz, “The Kid Nobody Could Handle” by Kurt Vonnegut okay, this one brings tears to my eyes. I actually taught this story to my students…who probably didn’t appreciate it. Whatever. This story ought to make you cry, too, especially if you listen to “Stars and Stripes Forever” after reading it. Or during. Basically, the world of Helmholtz (and Jim Donnini) will shake you to the core and leave you changed. I hope. That’s why I looked up to Helmholtz as I tried to reach my students and inspire them…. *sigh*
5. “When I Kissed the Teacher” by ABBA gotta leave you on an “up” note, so here’s the peppy first track off ABBA’s Arrival. Vacillating between adorable and…statutory, this song takes me back to that time I had a crush on my teacher, and then immediately decided having a crush on one’s teacher is gross. My love for this song, however, has never wavered, unlike my fickle desires for that one college professor (HA HA JUST KIDDING) (not kidding). Enjoy! And then feel icky immediately afterwards!: