Normally I would say “Nothing you enjoy should make you feel guilty!” but there are those things you cringe to admit like…
1. I adore the Twilight series and I’m glad to see it popping up on other people’s lists too! I feel so bad because the books are a massive commercial success turned cultural punchline, and because so much of the plot is troubling – from Edward’s stalkerish possessiveness to Bella’s wilting-flower emphasis on virginity – but I can’t help but love the books and movies! That doesn’t stop me from feeling guilty about it, though!!
2. I fangirled over Les Miserables when I was in high school, and the TAC (that’s Twentieth Anniversary Concert) was new, I knew EVERYTHING about the show. The entire libretto. I spent all my allowance money tracking down (before the age of internet shopping) the cassettes of EVERY cast recording. I betcha I can tell Ruthie Henshaw’s “I Dreamed A Dream” from Patti LuPone’s in less than four bars! I cringe a little at how obsessed I was, but I’d give anything to be that fully and innocently obsessed with something again. Or I can just tuck my hair into my “Eponine” hat (yes I have one holla if you get the reference) and sneak over the barricade once more…
3. Unicorn swag I don’t know why, unicorns are my catnip. I need to stop buying unicorn things. I see cute unicorns and next thing I know, I own it. How do you make this not happen to yourself?
4. Bridal Magazines/TV this has to be a category all its own. I mean, ‘fess up if you have a Pinterest board for your “wedding” and no date set? Yeah. I love killing time in Barnes & Nobel, tucked up on a bench poring over The Knot or Martha Stewart Weddings or Modern Bride and I’m actually watching Say Yes to the Dress right now (tangent – how great is marriage equality?) and it’s a hard ticket to sell. But how much do we all just want to say “It’s MY DAY!” and have everyone fawn over you and your epic party?? I still feel a little awkward justifying it, but I don’t think I’m alone on this!
5. Fandom Tattoo yes, I have a tattoo of the split-face from Hedwig and the Angry Inch. And very soon, I’ll have another (very subtle) fandom tattoo going down my arm. People ask me about the face, or the quote, and it’s a little awkward to explain “this is from a thing I like…” but whatever. I like the things, I put them on me, is it any weirder than tattooing your child’s name onto yourself (as if you might forget it and need to sneak a peek to remind yourself who it is you’re tucking into bed at night?).
7 Comments Add yours
Another tattoo? Really?
I, too, love the Twilight series! While I don't think the books are great writing wise, I just love them. I devoured the entire series in 9 days haha 🙂
The writing is… what it is, but the story makes me feel like a teenager again! Three days for me! But it was raining, and a weekend, so that's my excuse!
Les Mis is so good! I read the book in school and then got into Phantom of the Opera, oh jeez…
Phantom was good, but Les Mis was my JAM. So many more characters, so you could obsess over someone new each month!!!
I just bought a unicorn pen/plush today LOL
Good for you! I feel like I'm in unicorns anonymous: "it's been 52 days since I impulse-bought something cute…"