Once a month, we go grocery shopping. And like everything we do, we do it COMPLETELY. Over the top.
And because I am a terrible cook:
Here is why I love Trader Joe!:
1. It’s SO CHEAP! A month’s worth of groceries here costs what a week’s worth of groceries cost at all the other grocery stores in the city. And I’m not kidding.
2. It’s SO FAST! Checkout takes five minutes, whether you’re 5th in line or 25th in line. And they play sweet tunes while you wait, so it doesn’t even feel like you’re waiting!
3. The food is GOOD. See that Palak Paneer? Better than the delivery stuff we used to pay $15 a plate for. At much, much, MUCH cheaper, to boot! It’s no secret that I love Channa Masala…now I can have it whenever I want and it’s ALWAYS spicy, NEVER bitter. Perfect!
4. They have vegetarian food out the ying-yang. At most grocery stores, the veggie foods are tucked away in the “health” section, and you have to stand around scanning ingredient lists for the presence of “beef heads” or “chicken feet” or whatever you carnivores eat. Here, it’s kind of the opposite: “vegetarian until proven guilty,” if you will.
5. The options are vast and varied! It may look like we have just spent $100 on a freezer full of frozen Indian entrees and polenta – but that’s just the beginning. We also have mango juice, mini pitas, hummus, lentil soup, enchiladas, new potatoes in herbs with green beans, cheese sticks, pink lemonade, popcorn, cookie butter, ravioli, and Greek pizzas. It’s not just food you have to eat, it’s food you WANT to eat.
6. Trader Joe’s is frequently among the most ethical companies, for how they run their business, and how they treat their employees. I’m all for social conscience!
7. There’s a laid-back, super cool atmosphere in the store – employees are always happy and nice (today they complimented my dress!), they wear super cute Hawaiian shirts, and like I mentioned, the music is super cute and chill. Last time, I heard “Watching the Wheels” by John Lennon! One of my favourites! Any place that gets my music taste, gets my business! I don’t even care if that’s shallow!