This week’s 5 Fandom Friday is inspired by la langue de geek, it’s those geeky phrases by which we all identify each other and converse by droppin catchphrases yo!
1. “It’s in the frackin’ ship!” oh man, this more than probably any is my favourite to whip out during parties. Squint one eye shut, grasp an imaginary drink in one hand and bust out your best Saul Tigh growl and you, too, can be the hit of the party!
2. “Make it so” sadly, I’ve never really delved into Star Trek – it seems very daunting! But this phrase, uttered somberly, seems to spur people into action.
3. “I, like, totally paused.” this gem from the 90’s classic Clueless often goes unnoticed as I use it as a retort when accused of jaywalking. Granted, in NYC, pedestrians have the right-of-way (NOT BICYCLES, YOU JERKS), so can jaywalking even be considered a thing? Nevertheless, this reassures people that I did see that cab coming, and I’ll never stop loving Paul Rudd.
4. “You were fantastic…and so was I!” oh, Eccleston! We hardly knew ye! Seriously. If you ever want to exude fake-humble, it’s with this memorable “last words” line! Makes me want to re-watch the reboot RIGHT NOW!
5. “Don’t F*** it up.” you have to be in the right place, with the right audience (HINT: not yo gramma) to drop this helpful hint into conversation, but when placed just right, everyone will know that you chant it right along with RuPaul as you feverishly devour each new episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race, aka the show that launched a thousand catchphrases! Picking just one was SO HARD: “Shade!” “Byeeeeee” “Flahsaydah” “WERK!” and “if you can’t love yourself, how in the HELL you gonna love somebody else!”
I LOVED this week’s prompt, and I can’t wait to see what other nerdy catchphrases you all werk into your conversations – can I get an A-MEN??? Now LET THE MUSIC PLAY!
SPECIAL UPDATE: Oh my Flying Spaghetti Monster, I can’t believe I forgot all the Charlie Brown specials.
“I got a rock,” “You didn’t tell me you were going to kill it!” and “REAL ESTATE!” Once the holidays kick into gear, you cannot get me to STOP quoting the Peanuts gang.